We made some strawberry syrup today for pancakes or ice cream topping. The kids helped me take the tops off the strawberries and cut them in quarters. We mashed them over medium heat.
We added the water and the sugar and let the sugar dissolve. It was so easy and well worth our time. We will enjoy it on our pancakes.
I decided to can it so I would have it for winter. It only takes 10 minutes in a water bath canner.
You just have to pour the hot syrup in clean jars. Put the lid on and tighten the band.
You make sure the water covers all the jars. As soon as the water comes back to a boil you time it for ten minutes and then let them cool on the counter.
I will never forget the first time I canned cherry pie filling with my mother in law. She was so excited before we started and I thought this lady has lost it! (I was seventeen) So there we were cherry juice dripping down our arms after several hours of pitting and we were having a great time! I was so proud of all the work we had accomplished and enjoyed hearing the "ping" every time I heard a jar seal. We made good memories together. Laughing and enjoying each others company. She shared her love for canning with me that day. I have been hooked ever since!
No comments:
Post a Comment