I made a sour dough starter this past week and I'm so excited to use it! I've made some sour dough pancakes in the past and our family loves them. I'm looking forward to learning how to use the starter in breads, pancakes and whatever else I can think of!
This is the beginnings of something wonderful! I was able to find the pretty pottery jar at the thrift store the other day and I only paid 1.99 for it! Wahoo!
Sour dough starter:
2 cups of warm water
2 cups of flour
1 Tablespoon of yeast
2 teaspoons of sugar
1. Dissolve the yeast in half cup of warm water set aside.
2. Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Add the yeast mixture as soon as it is proofed. (bubbly)
3. Transfer to a half gallon jar.
4. Cover with a dish cloth. Stir once daily for 2-5 days.
Your starter should be ready to use after this. You must use one cup of your sourdough daily. Once you remove one cup you must feed the starter with a cup of warm water and a cup of flour.
Storing your starter can be done in the fridge or on the counter. Cover your starter loosely with plastic wrap. ( This way it can breath)
Hootch: No I'm not calling you a name. This is the name of the clear liquid that has separated from the flour mixture and has risen to the top. This is perfectly normal. It is the alcohol made by the yeast. Just stir it back into the starter before using. It will dissipate while cooking!
If the liquid starts changing colors throw away your starter and start over.
3 comments:
I miss my cooking buddy!
cool!!!
I want to start one of these when I get back to WA. I have been meaning to for a while now. By the way-that towel looks so familiar, probably b/c I have one in my drawer :) hehe...i think you have been missing it for quite some time. Can't wait to be back. May have to buy some chicken from you :) April.
Post a Comment