Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ricotta Cheese

 I decided to try my hand at making some ricotta cheese this morning. Jane's milk is multiplying! We are not able to keep up... so... like a mad woman I'm trying to figure out things to do with it! I brought the milk up to 180 degrees and added the vinegar. It only took about a minute to separate the curd from the whey.
 You strain the curd through cheese cloth and let it drip for an hour. After it has stopped dripping you wrap it up and put it in the fridge. There was five pounds of ricotta cheese from the three gallons of milk we started with!
I suppose I will make some lasagna for dinner tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! And it seems that it didn't take you that long to make it. Good for you! Ricotta is good with jam for breakfast, or with fruit on top and a dollop of sour cream (maybe a bit of sugar too). I used to eat it all the time during my childhood.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...