Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Self sustaining.

I'm trying to find ways for our little farm to be self sustaining. Our chickens pay for themselves, the cow will give us milk and it's future calf should give us beef, the sheep will have lambs that will feed us and the ducks and geese are really just ornamental pets.

Tom's business was pretty slow this year and it gave us a chance to see what our needs are and realize that our wants are not important! It is always nice to take a look and realize how much you can live off of. I have been cooking with a much lower budget but the food is still good, just better planned! I'm really looking forward to having a large garden this summer and being able to can and store the produce.

 Now before you think I lost it and have become a hermit on our property I should tell you I haven't gone off the deep end! I'm just trying to be more wise with the money God has given us. I'm so excited about how our children have grown! They are such hard workers and they are learning so many lessons! I have been thinking about selling some homemade breads and baked goods. Becky is really getting into baking and it would be nice to make a little extra cash for the farm.

I think we are calling our place Abbey Farms. Oh and we named the cow Betsy and the sheep are Warm and Cozy! Thanks for all the suggestions! 

4 comments:

Jeanné said...

I don't think your a hermit...or crazy! That is Awesome!!! I wish one day to have our own land & big house! It is kind of hard to do that in an apartment. I think You are a Very Wise Woman (Prov 31) using resorces, saving & being wise with your money! You are a Great encouragement!

Karilee said...

Just wondering...do you have 3 blind mice on that farm? 'cause I'd like to hear the story of you chasing them with a butcher knife.
I love reading about your farm and your adjustments, such a great way to teach your children.

Jenny said...

Love your new header picture!

Amanda said...

Jeanne' that is quite a compliment! Thank you... I'm far from Prov. 31 but I'm working on it! I hope you are able to have a small farm of your own one day. I LOVE IT!
Karilee we haven't had any mice in the house. Our cats take care of lots of them! I usually get two dead critters a day. (neatly set right in front of the door)
Jenny- I had a really hard time deciding what picture to put up. I really like this one though!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...