Sunday, August 7, 2011

On my mind

As of lately we have been milking Jane twice a day. She gives us on average two gallons of milk in the morning and two in the evening. I've made several different cheeses from her milk and have really enjoyed it. The milking usually takes me twenty minutes each time. with about ten minutes getting it ready to go into the fridge.
Soon I will have her bred again. I'm trying to decide if I want to breed her to a Jersey and pray for a heifer calf or go with a "meat" type cow and have beef. I'm in the middle of "drying" her up. I really want to spend some time getting her nice and healthy before she has her calf. We moved her to another pasture so she has fresh grass to eat and I will be picking up hay soon.
I'm not exactly looking forward to having to buy dairy again but I know it will be for a short time. And of course since I found the dairy near by me I will still have fresh unpasteurized milk.

1 comment:

Jessica ;-) said...

WOW! That's a LONG dry time, if you're already drying her off and she's not even bred yet! They only need a 2mo dry period before calving again, and they're pregnant for 9mo! I'd keep milking her, so that she's still paying for her feed! If you can't use all her milk, just get her down to where she can handle being milked once a day. ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...