Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Laundry Detergent

 I made some laundry detergent on Saturday seeing I was getting a little on the low side. I thought I would post how to make it. It is very simple and inexpensive. You will need a bar of soap grated, a half cup each of Borax and washing soda. I've used baking soda but I don't think it works as well so I used the other this time around.
 I bought some cheap juice jars from walmart. I really like the top opening being so large and the convenience of having a spigot on the bottom for ease of pouring the soap into the cup. You will need a container that holds 10 quarts. I bought two jars and they worked perfectly!
On to how to make your detergent.

Step one add the: Borax, Washing soda, and grated soap into a four quart or larger pan.
Step two: Add 2 1/2 quarts of water.
Step three: Heat on medium high heat while stirring until the ingredients are dissolved. (this may take 15
     minutes)
Step four: Pour eight quarts of cold water into your soap container.
Step five: After the soap has dissolved add it to the container with the cold water. Allow the soap to
     cool. Your soap is ready for use. The soap will thicken as it cools.

I use what ever bar soap I have laying around. I used Dove this time which gave it the nice color.
Have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to do this for a very long time! I've always wondered though, does it wash the clothes well? Is the Borax hard on the clothes and cause them to fade quicker? Do you have to mix/shake up the liquid before each use and does it come out of the spout well? Sorry for all the questions... just been wondering all of these for a long time. :) Love the jug idea to put it in, that's awesome!!

Jenny Savage

Amanda said...

It does work well, I haven't noticed any fading, and no I don't have to mix it before I use it. I am a little bummed though because it is to thick to pour properly. I think I used to much grated soap. I think I will heat it back up and add some more water.... We shall see!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...