Friday, February 11, 2011

The coyotes found our chickens!

 As I was out on my morning walk doing my chores the kids came and told me they thought something had gotten a chicken so I went to investigate and this is what I found. Sure enough something had gotten one of my Buff Orpington hens!
Feathers were spread everywhere so obviously she put up quite a fight! Poor girl. Warning the next picture is not for the weak stomach. (It is a very graphic picture of a dead chicken!)
 This is all that was left of her along with a tuft of feathers spread over the field.
So I was laying in bed this morning reading when all of a sudden Austin pops in my room and yells "Mom the sheep are out and running around in the front yard!" At 7:00 in the morning I had just gotten Tom off to work and was just enjoying the warmth of my bed along with a good book! How dare the sheep escape! Ugg so I ended up going out and getting the grain and they came running! Someone I will not name names but they forgot to fasten the gate this morning..... ahem.
 Pigs are still nestled safe and (stuck- so they won't escape again) in their pen!
 The chickens free ranging in the field. I'm hoping to build another chicken coop soon and give theirs to the new cow..... I can't tell you how excited i am to get her!
And look here my duck found a place to lay her eggs! I'm hoping she will sit on them!

5 comments:

Mcarthur Mile said...

o man that stinks! Are you sure it was a coyote? When they ate mine they took it away. That stinks, now the fight is on to keep them out.

DayPhoto said...

Oh UGH! I lost all of mine to feral dogs. I am so sorry. That is just horrible! Dogs are so bad because they leave them right there for you to find.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Jenny said...

Ugh, what a pain! I remember that scene so well, I saw it so many times as a child. Our culprit was often racoons though. I can remember countless times my dad going outside to "shoot the coons", lol. Sometimes the coons would scream when shot, and that was terrifying as a little girl. I'm so sorry you lost some chickens!! I hope you can find the culprit soon and get rid of them!

The Browning Family said...

:((((

Me no likey that! I despise coyotes! Sad post. Sad.

david said...

So THAT’S what a dead chicken looks like. ;) Your blog is so edjukationull! haha, Sorry I couldn’t help it. But really, that is sad. I hope all your animals stay safe! - Stephanie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...