Sausage Gravy
1 lb regular jimmy dean sausage
1 lb hot jimmy dean sausage
1 c. flour
2 c. milk
1/2 gallon milk
1 tbsp pepper
1 tsp salt
- Brown sausage in large frying pan that has at least two inch sides. As the sausage is browning you will want to break it up in small pieces with a wood spatula.
- Make a paste out of the cup of flour and two cups milk. Be sure there are no lumps of flour or your gravy will be lumpy. I usually do this in a pint jar and stir vigorously until it is smooth.
- Pour in the frying pan once the sausage is brown. ( I don't drain the sausage but you can if you like). Stir quickly or it will burn. Add the remaining milk only about a cup at a time. This will allow the gravy to thicken quicker. You may add more or less milk according to the amount of sausage you would like in the gravy.
- Add the salt and pepper. Note this does seem like a lot of pepper but it is very good! If you are nervous you can add less if you like.
Biscuits
6 c. flour
4 tbsp sugar
9 teaspoons baking powder
3 tsp salt
1/2 c. butter
1 c. shortening
3 1/4 c. milk
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Be sure they are mixed well. There is nothing worse than a large lump of baking powder in the middle of your biscuit!
- Cut in the butter and shortening. This is very important that you use a pastry blender. This keeps your biscuits flaky and not hard. Also the butter must be slightly cold.
- Add milk a little at a time stirring slightly with a fork. Do not over stir this can also make your biscuits hard. Once the milk is all added you will pour onto a pastry mat or your counter and need about 6 times to be sure the dough will stay together. Roll out and cut with a biscuit cutter. You can also use a glass if you need to.
- Lay onto a baking sheet so they are not touching. They will cook quicker this way. Cook in a 450 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes.
7 comments:
Those are impressive biscuits!! I will be keeping that recipe on hand. Your gravy is like mine but I never measured it out. :) I just made it. That all sounds yummy! I have been keeping up with your meals, so keep posting. :):)
Haha, forget my comment on Facebook...didn't see your blog until later. I'll print out the recipe and give 'em a try. Thanks!
Oh, this is one of our family's favorite meals! It's a regular in our home, although I make mine a little different. The kids about lose their minds when they see I'm getting ready to make it! I love all the pictures your sharing!! It's so cool to SEE the food as well as read about it!
Looks good! This is one of my favorite meals, and I too will be keeping that biscuit recipe. They look like they were out of the can!
oo ya, I can remember the taste of those yummy biscuits and gravy!! They are sooooo good!
~Emily
I am SO glad you shared your gravy!! I don't care for gravy myself but the kids and hubby LOVE it. I have a hard time figuring out how to cook things that I don't care for since I don't really know what they "should" taste like. Anyway, I am DEFINITELY trying this!!!
This is one of our favorites, but we just add the flour to the cooked meat with the grease still in it, cook it to brown the flour up, then add the milk! We like to keep it simple!!
Post a Comment