I need your opinions on sewing machines. A couple years back I bought a cheap sewing machine from Wal - Mart and I never was happy with it's performance. I would like to know what machines you have tried and what your experience was with them. Thank you.
9 comments:
I have an old, basic model Singer that my grandma bought me when I was in 5th grade. It still works great after 20 years!! Mom and I both like Singer machines the best.
I have a simple, basic Singer model and love it. My grandmother's and mother-in-law all have Singer's, and they have proven to be great machines that last forever! :) Happy hunting!
I am "borrowing" my mom's sewing machine-it is a Singer-it is old...a few years old.
I was talking to Amanda Hand--she told me that if I decide to get another sewing machine of my own I should get a "Brother" sewing machine. She said the sewing machines from them are GREAT.
When I was in Iowa our pastor's wife sewed all the time and quilted. She had a Janome and I was looking into buying one. If you go to a dealer you can usually trade in your old one and they have a good support program. there is a dealer in Silverdale:
Quality Sewing & Vacuum
10876 Myhne Pl NW
Silverdale, WA 98383
360-692-2992
I have a Brother...tommy asked around to my grandmas before buying me one...I love it and they are suppose to last forever too.
For years I had an OLD Singer...a 1965 model and it worked fine as long as I tweaked it a bit now and then. My SIL is a sewing master and while working in a fabric store that also did repairs, she was able to learn from the repair man which models were his biggest customers!
Apparently, the older Singer machines are great, but the new ones, not so much. They aren't made to last a long time and use plastic parts. She says the for a lower priced model the Janome is a good machine and would recommend that for the occasional seamstress. Ultimately, she likes the Husqvarna/Viking machines. Several years ago, as a VERY generous birthday gift she bought me a Husqvarna machine. For me, it has been like a dream, but that's partially because I was used to sewing on an old machine that practically outweighed me!
I do love the machine and how it is put together...the bobbin winding, needle threader, adjustments are easy and the stitches are nice all the time.
My mom has a Brother and likes it just fine, she's had it for years and bought it at Costco for a great price.
BTW...What are you sewing??! Do tell. :)
I have some Christmas gifts I am doing this year... I am making cloth napkins and a couple sets of pjs. I really appreciate everyone commenting and I will keep all the info in mind.
We got our girls some cheaper brothers machines, don't go for the cheapest! One is already broken after a year and a half. Spend a little extra and get a good quality one!!
~Emily
Well I have a mid line singer and Luke asked around a lot before he bought it. I do have to admit that NOTHING I have made has worked out, but I am sure that is the operater and not the machine! The singer has been very easy to learn how to use.
Post a Comment